Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Malbec, a Chair, Lucille Ball, and Baked Zucchini Cakes

You know what I like about summer?  I can sit at my computer at 3 PM on a Tuesday afternoon with a glass of Malbec (a very small glass) and just wait for the writing muse to pop in through the open window and boing me on the head with a great idea for this post.   And if that doesn't happen, I can roll on over to the sofa and begin cutting out some more scrip-scraps for another chair.  In fact, that is what I did most of the morning.  In honor of Lucille Ball's 101st birthday, August 6th, I made a chair in her memory.  Whether you like it or not, here are the steps:  
Find yourself a chair, preferably on the curb, although this one and a mate were purchased at an estate sale for $20.


Fry the few remaining brain cells you have left by sanding and inhaling paint--probably lead based.The object is not to make it smooth as new--just level the crud a bit.

Further endanger your life by inhaling copious amounts of spray paint.  In fact, use so much spray paint that you have to go back to the hardware store three times.  This chair is now getting pretty expensive.  Let the thing dry in your garage for a couple of days.  The car will have to sit outside.

I am certain that the owners of said hardware store have informed law enforcement that I am either huffing or tagging.  If you don't know either of those terms, check out an urban dictionary.  Neither are good.
Now the fun day begins!!  Start by cutting out pictures/photos/words from some biblio-source.  I tend to go to half-priced book sellers.  This is where I found an entire book on Lucille Ball for $2.95.  Imagine no one snapping that up before me!


This is one of my favorite Lucy shticks.  

And then you lose your eyesight trying to cut out individual letters.

You need lots of Mod Podge to glue everything in place.  BTW Elmer's Glue works just as well and is a lot cheaper.


Gluing is done.  Now you have frittered away an entire morning of your brief life.  I didn't take pictures of spraying the umpteen layers of clear enamel.  I forgot.  No brain cells left.

The seat.

This is my favorite part with all of the individual photos of Lucy.

Desi on the back.  Notice the crackled paint.  It happens.  You can never predict when.  Perfection is not of this world, so get over it.

The finished product.  Total cost to me?   $25.  Hours of labor?  6 or 7 or 8... I forget.


Next up, a Grant Wood book I found.  Just think what I can do with these two.



I haven't forgotten my short-lived tradition of a recipe for Wednesday.  I think this calls for something as pretty as a picture.  I have been sharing this recipe with anyone who will listen.  It comes from a new cookbook, Farm-Fresh and Fast by the Fairshare CSA Coalition.  These are really, really good!  And yes, this is my picture.  I do know how to garnish.

Baked Zucchini Cakes (makes 8)

3 cups grated zuchini (wrap in towel and squeeze out excess moisture.
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan (I won't lecture about the round container.)
2 eggs
4 green onions thinly sliced
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (I used a wonderful seasoning from Penzey's called Forward instead.  Next time I will try fresh herbs.)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon mayonnaise (I use Miracle Whip.  Always have.  Love the new commercials.)

Heat oven to 400.  Glop everything together and mix it up with your scrupulously clean hands.  Form into 8 pretty patties.  Plop on a baking sheet (I can't use the term "cookie sheet" quite yet.  See "The Art of Surviving a Dump", July 10.) that is covered with foil and liberally sprayed or oiled.  Bake for 10 minutes and then flip.  Bake 10 additional minutes.  The patties should be golden brown.  I served mine with a simple risotto and some steamed broccoli.   

Prairie Sherry





1 comment:

  1. OMG- love the chair and will try that recipe- sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete