Monday, September 30, 2013

The Art of Convalesence

"Where is that ace bandage?"
I am just finishing up a little doctor-imposed vacation--some recovery after minor out-patient surgery on my right leg. I am a terrible patient.  Not because I  moan and whine (well, perhaps just a bit when someone other than the dog is around to hear me), but because I can't sit or lie around doing nothing.  I like to blame it on my prairie pioneer work ethic, but actually it is because of a serious type triple A personality disorder that has me behaving like a hamster on speed most of the time.

My sister called on Friday evening, and her parting words told the story.  "Don't try to tackle everything that hasn't gotten done in the past four years while you are suppose to be recovering."  

She knows me too well.  

I am the one who attempted to shampoo my living room carpet the morning after I dislocated my shoulder.  I have removed and stored screens suffering with the sinus infection of the century.  It isn't a very good idea to be hanging out of second story windows while your congestion is giving you a case of vertigo. I will admit to having straightening a bathroom closet while being forced to spend some time near the porcelain throne during a bout of the stomach flu.  Now that is really sick!

I really tried this time.  A week before my planned convalescence, I borrowed Season Three of Downton Abbey.  I made it through episode two before I felt compelled to tackle the growing mound of papers threatening to overtake the computer desk.  I do know that Lady Sybil didn't make it.


"Lady Sharon, you must keep icing that leg.  You simply cannot get up and mow the damn lawn.
 I purchased a new book for my Kindle, settled into my cozy bed, and got to the third chapter before I decided that I  must wash the bedspread ...and then the shams...and then the sheets...and then the dog...


"Would someone send this woman
back to work?"
I refrained from cleaning out the refrigerator while looking for the butter for my cinnamon toast, but I did go through the spice cupboard tossing a few bottles that probably traveled from China with Marco Polo.  My first venture in the car was to head to my local spice purveyor to replace said bottles.





I have completely failed to follow doctor's orders, and I am going to be honest with myself and not even try for the remainder of the week-end.

Today I am not planning on taking a nap that will never happen.  I am not going to ice every 20 minutes.  I am not going to keep my leg elevated above my heart.  

I am planning, however, on having my one remaining at-home-minion mow my lawn.  "Cough, cough...I am feeling a bit weak..."

Prairie Sherry

PS

I haven't given you a recipe in a while.  This one came to me from an internet friend.  Seriously, this is tasty!!


This doesn't look as good as it tastes.
Google images failed me here.
Muffin-in-a-Cup

Using a large mug:

1.  Melt 1 teaspoon coconut oil in the cup--microwave 20 seconds. I didn't have coconut oil, so I used heart-healthy olive oil.  Tasted fine, and one day I will awake looking like Sophia Loren.

2.  Stir in 2 teaspoons brown sugar.

3.  Stir in 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.

4.  Add one egg and beat like crazy.

5.  Stir in 1/4 cup flaxseed meal.  Now I hear you whining, "Where in the heck am I suppose to get that?"  Really, it isn't that hard to find.  I use Bob's Red Mill Golden Flaxseed Meal.  It is in the specialty flours in my grocery.  Might also find it in the natural and organic foods section.  It's not  a huge commitment--like a dog.  It comes in a small package.  Seriously, you need some flaxseed in your diet.

6.  Microwave for 1 minute 23 seconds (Yes, exactly that!).

Serve in the cup with a pat of good butter, some local honey, or some jam.  It is like having your own little bran muffin for breakfast.  I stirred in some mashed banana before baking this morning.  I am going to try a spoonful of canned pumpkin and some pumpkin pie spice tomorrow.

Thanks, Colleen!!!
     

  

2 comments:

  1. Love that photo of you stretching in the black spandex/leather...I should look so good at your age! ;) Oh wait, I am your age now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just for six weeks, then I will be the old broad once again.

      Delete