Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Prairie Pa Goes Prehistoric





Every week, I listen to second graders read. I do this because I like kids, but also to selfishly justify my existence on this planet. Perhaps the Divine will keep me here a little longer because of this.

 

Yesterday, I was listening to Beau James read.  He is a delightful second grader who loves large, scary creatures. Beau was reading about a shark that lived over fifty million years ago and was big as a bus. Beau was very impressed with the shark’s jaws; large enough to swallow a Volkswagen. He told me about the shark’s teeth. Each species of shark has different teeth.  When a shark loses a tooth, another tooth will grow in the same spot a few days later. We came across the word “prehistoric,” and I explained to Beau it meant very old. Beau looked at me with his big brown eyes and said, “Just like you?” Beau meant no offense, he is not capable of it. 

I thought about why someone calling me old, hurts. I am certainly much closer to the end than the beginning.  You cannot enjoy a long life without growing old.

I thought about how blessed I am.

NOTE:  Just so you know, I am Prairie Pa's FAVORITE child.  Prairie Eydie 

I survived growing up in Peshtigo, Wisconsin (it burned to the ground once), graduated from UW-Madison, served in the  United States army, was City Engineer in Stevens Point (they should have charged me tuition), started my own engineering business and sold it 25 years later for a tidy sum (thank you very much), married a lovely woman who I still adore after 52 years, and raised three children who are gainfully employed and don’t need any advice from me.

 
Want to know a secret? This is the zenith of my life. I do not have to get to the office at 5:00 A.M. and deal with disgruntled clients, sulky employees and cash flow. I go to bed when I want and get up eight hours later. I can putter in the yard for hours, read great books (i.e. Bill Bryson), visit with friends, and volunteer for tasks I enjoy.

 

I am blessed with good health. I live in the United States (I could have been born in Stalingrad in 1939 rather than Green Bay). I have a few good friends and enough money to avoid distributing shopping carts at Wal-Mart.

 
So here is to you, my good friend Beau James. I know you have experienced some hard things in your young life, but I pray from now on you will be blessed even more than I have been blessed and live to be a “prehistoric” man.

Prairie Pa

No comments:

Post a Comment