Monday, November 11, 2013

The Art of Shopping Local

Mark in profile, at Camp Randall.  I have absolutely NO photos of my brother on my phone, so I found this on my sister-in-law's Facebook page.  Note to self:  Take photos of Mark over the holidays.
You've meet Prairie Pa.  Now it is time to meet my brother, Mark.  He lives the values I have, but don't live.

I guess I have no excuse.  I have both seamed stockings and a bike.

Mark bikes to work every day.  His commute isn't the eight minute bike ride mine would be.  Rather he bikes miles across Milwaukee, Monday through Friday, to get to his job.  I told Mark I couldn't bike to work, because I have to look good. He directed me to the website:  www.girlsbikingtowork.com.  It is all the "how to's" a working Jane needs to commute by bike and look awesome.  Oh snap!  Yeah.  I tried whining about how teachers need to cart lots of papers and supplies between home and the classroom.  Apparently there are things called panniers.  Double snap. 





Mark also makes a conscious effort to only buy clothes made in America.  Yesterday, before my sister-in-law, Heidi, and I dashed out the door to T.J. Maxx and Mayfair Mall, Mark pointed out how everything he was wearing had been made in the U.S. of A.  I didn't dare say, "But there is nothing good for a pear-shaped gal to buy that is made in America."  He probably had a website waiting to ambush me, like, www.pearintheusa.com

I am always just happy to find a pair of jeans that fit and don't care where they were made.  I know you expect your Prairie Grlz to be socially responsible, but I am not there yet on this issue.  Does it count that my mom made all of my clothes until I was in 6th grade?  Does it?  (Does "The Boss" only buy American?)


Mark called me today with the suggestion of having a day where we would shop local and eat local.  I was on board right away.  (I have enough jeans to get me through the winter, so why not?)  December 14th, Mark, Heidi and I will be doing all of our Christmas shopping at local shops in Milwaukee.  We are only eating and drinking coffee at local restaurants and cafes.  No "Renee's Special" for me at Cheesecake Factory.  No clearance rack at T.J. Maxx.  No  Hello Kitty vampire mug at 75% off.  Of course, I will share the results with you.  And no.  We will not be shopping local on bicycles.

Prairie Eydie

PS - I usually buy all gifts locally.  Local artist rock!  Including your very own Prairie Grlz.  Wouldn't someone on your gift list LOVE this coffee table hand crafted by our own talented, Prairie Sherry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment